Denise Gill

Chief Clerk

Phone: (208) 934-4841

Fax: (208) 934-5019

624 Main Street

Gooding, ID 83330

Diane Houser

Chief Deputy Clerk

Phone: (208) 934-4841

Fax: (208) 934-5019

Gooding County Clerk/Auditor/Recorder

Constitutional and statutory laws give this one elective county officer five titles: Clerk of the District Court, Auditor, Recorder, Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners, and Chief Elections Officer of the County. The County Clerk also oversees County Assistance. There is one deputy clerk who works under the Clerk as well as in the Board of County Commissioners office.

Officially, the Clerk of the District Court serves as ex officio Auditor and Recorder and ex officio Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners.

The Auditor acts as the County Budget and Accounting Officer. Responsibilities include compiling the budget requests and submitting the budget to the Board of County Commissioners; recording appropriations made to county agencies, the outstanding liabilities against these appropriations and the expenditures made against the appropriations; keeping accounting records on the revenues, expenditures and balances in each county fund. The Auditor also prepares and remits checks to employees, vendors, and other persons entitled to payment. All moneys received by various county offices are recorded in financial records.

The Recorder is responsible to keep records of all documents recorded in Gooding County. Additionally, the Recorder’s office provides marriage licenses, processes passports and records land documents, including plat maps, surveys, easements, assertions of right-of-way, and some types of liens.

Page Contents

Recordable Documents

A recordable document, pursuant to the Idaho Code, must have original signature of grantor and be notarized. If it conveys real property, it must also include the grantee’s current mailing address.

Not all recorded documents are certifiable. A certified copy from the Recorder’s Office is as good as an original document (except birth and death certificates which must be obtained from the Idaho Vital Statistics office). To request vital statistics certificates, see Idaho Vital Statistics or PO Box 83720, Boise ID 83720 or call (208) 334-5980. There is an information line available at (208) 334-5988.

According to Idaho Code, all instruments delivered to the County Recorder for record shall be recorded rather than filed with the exception of plats, surveys, cornerstone markers and instruments under the Uniform Commercial Code.

A page shall not exceed fourteen inches in length or eight and one-half inches in width (8-1/2” x 14”). The recording fee to be charged for maps, sketches, drawings or other instruments except plats larger than the size permitted above for a page shall be two cents per square inch.

Recording Information and Fees

Idaho Code states that the county recorder may receive the following fees for his/her services, to be paid by the party procuring the recording services.

For recording every instrument, paper or notice, for first page $10.00
For every page thereafter $3.00
For copies of any record or paper, for each page $1.00
For each certificate under seal, when required $1.00
For release or assignment where more than one (1) document is released or assigned in the same instrument, for each additional release or assignment $1.00
For recording every town lot or map, for first one hundred (100) lots or less $11.00
For each additional lot $0.05
For taking acknowledgments, including seal $1.00
For recording the location notice or amended location notice, of a mining claim, or for recording and indexing each notice, for each page $3.00
For recording affidavit of labor of mining claims for one (1) minint claim $4.00
Additional charge for each claim in excess of one (1) $0.50
For filing a survey $5.00
For making a copy of a survey $4.00
For issuing marriage license, filing, recording and indexing the certificate of marriage and taking and filing affidavits required in issuance of the license $13.00
For administering an oath, including jurat's $1.00
Certifying the same when required an additional sum of $1.00
For comparing and certifying a prepared copy of a file or record in his or her office, for each page $0.50
For each certificate under seal there shall be an additional fee of $1.00

Return to Top

Marriage Licenses

If you will be married in Idaho, you must obtain a marriage license. Licenses are issued in the Recorder’s office. If you will be married in another state, you will need to get a marriage license from that state.

Requirements for people over 18 years of age:

  • Application forms for a marriage license must be filled out.
  • Both people need to appear at the courthouse in person.
  • Both need forms of photo identification.
  • Both need to bring in his/her Social Security Card.
  • Both need to read and sign a pamphlet on AIDS in the Recorder’s office.
  • Pay the fee of $28.

For people under 18 years of age (but over 16), a parent for each person under 18 must also appear, in addition to those requirements above.

In addition to the above requirements, and the requirement of one parent for each 16-year-old, a person under 16 years of age must have an appointment with the Magistrate Judge to obtain a court order permitting the 16-year-old to be married.

No waiting period or blood tests are required.

Two copies of the marriage license are issued. One copy is for the couple and one copy is to be sent in for recording by the person performing the ceremony.

Return to Top


You can go to the U.S. Department of State’s Passport Services and Information Site and print out the needed passport application. This Site also contains information on passport services and other passport-related information.

Return to Top

Election Information

Voter registration in the State of Idaho is done at the county level. The County Clerk is the chief registration official for Gooding County.

If requested, the Clerk will furnish a list of registered voters in the county, arranged by precinct. The requestor may be assessed a charge to compensate the county for the cost of reproducing such a list. It is prohibited by law to use this list for commercial purposes.

For additional election information, see the Idaho Secretary of State Election Division website.

Return to Top

Voter Registration

Click here for information.

If you have questions about registration, please call the Clerk’s Office at (208) 934-4221.

Return to Top

Polling Places

Precinct # Precinct Name Polling Place

Gooding City

Gooding County Extension Office
Gooding County Fairgrounds
201 Lucy Lane, Gooding

3 Gooding Rural War Memorial Hall
Corner of 3rd & Idaho Street, Gooding
4 Wendell City American Legion Hall
West Main Street & Hagerman, Wendell
5 Wendell Rural Wendell High School
750 E Main St., Wendell
6 Bliss Bliss Fire Department
120 E US Hwy 30, Bliss
7 Hagerman American Legion Hall
Corner of Lake & State Street, Hagerman

Return to top

Absentee Voting

Idaho law provides for absentee voting, registered voters who wish to vote early or will be unable to vote at their precinct in the coming election may vote by mail or at the Clerk's Office.

Absentee Registration and/or Application for Absentee Ballot must be applied for by the Applicant to the County Clerk in the County in which the elector's Idaho residence is.

You may absentee vote in person or by mail, at the Clerk's Office in the Gooding County Courthouse up to the Friday preceding the election.

Mail-in Voter Registration card:

  • can be requested from the Clerk's office or
  • print form (form is fillable on your screen with Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher)

Application for an absentee ballot: (you must be registered to vote in Idaho to request an absentee ballot)

  • can be requested from Clerk's office or
  • print form (form is fillable on your screen with Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher)
  • or by submitting a written request with the required information (name of elector, residence address in Idaho and mailing address to which such registration or ballot is to be forwarded) signed by the applicant

If you wish to have an absentee ballot mailed to you, the request must be received by the County Clerk's office by the 6th day prior to the election. You can still cast an absentee ballot in person at the absent elector's polling place (usually the County Clerk's Office) up until 5 p.m. the Friday before the election.

Return to the top